History of Bangladesh High Court

141
Bangladesh High Court

There are two parts or divisions of the Bangladesh supreme court. Bangladesh High Court is the lower division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. The high court practices both original jurisdiction and appellate jurisdiction in civil & criminal matters. It comprises the Chief Justice of Bangladesh and the Judges of the High Court Division.

During the East Indian rule, the Supreme Court in Calcutta would address the British crown with its locale over all Europeans living in Bengal and all local residents of Calcutta as it were. The most noteworthy court of the organization’s Bengal realm was the Sadar Adalat which had two divisions, Sadar Diwani Adalat and Sadar Nizamat Adalat. The Sadar Adalat addressed the Company. In 1858, the Crown assumed control over the duty of controlling British India and annulled the East India Company. The High Courts Act of 1861 accommodated one High Court at every administration. The previous Supreme Court and Sadar Adalat were supplanted by the High Court. The High Court administered equity as per a uniform arrangement of common methodology code, criminal system code, and Penal Code. The High Court of Calcutta had all Bengal locales even after the segment of Bengal in 1905. Under the Government of India Act of 1935, each area got a High Court and a Federal Court in the middle.

Dhaka High Court was first set up in 1947 as the High Court in East Bengal after the partition of India. In 1955 the Dhaka High Court turned into the High Court of East Pakistan. At that time, the Supreme Court of Pakistan exercised appellate jurisdiction. As the Pakistan Supreme court has appellate jurisdiction, the Supreme court had control over both Pakistan Court and West Pakistan High Court.

The High Court building was situated on Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue until 1967. The building is now known as the Old High Court Building. With the development of a bigger office during the 1960s close by that presently houses the Supreme Court of Bangladesh and Attorney General’s office, the High Court was moved from Old House in 1967.

Chief Justices Until 1971:

  • Abu Saleh Muhammad Akram (1947 – 1950)
  • Muhammad Shahabuddin (1950-1953)
  • Amiruddin Ahmad (1954-1956)
  • Amin Ahmed (1956 – 1959)
  • M. A. Ispahani (1959-1962)
  • Imam Hossain Choudhury (1962-1964)
  • Syed Mahbub Murshed (1964-1967)
  • Badruddin Ahmed Siddiky (1967-1971)

Then the freedom war came. After nine months of fighting In 1971, East Pakistan became independent and renamed Bangladesh. Then Bangladesh established the Supreme Court of Judicature Act to regularize the legal system in 1972. The Act proclaimed that the Supreme Court of Bangladesh comprised the Appellate Division and the High Court Division. Then the High Court Division supplanted the Dhaka High Court and Appellate Division preceded the Supreme Court of Pakistan.

There is no arrangement for any different High Court as it was during the Pakistan period. Bangladesh Constitution states that there will be a Supreme Court for Bangladesh containing the Appellate Division and the High Court Division.

Top Fastest Product Delivery Companies in the World

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here