One of the most highly regarded and popular Japanese anime series is eventually gaining a live-action adaptation it deserves. The live-action Cowboy Bebop Netflix series has a first season available for viewing on November 19th. Everything we know about the show so far is here.
What is Cowboy Bebop?
The original anime series from Sunrise was published in 1998 in Japan. The 26 episode series takes place in the late 21st century. The earth is currently not possible, but most solar systems of the earth are penetrated. In this series, bounty hunters named Cowboys. They roam the solar system looking to take down bad guys to collect their fee. The series focused on a group of “cowboys” and their ship called Bebop.
The show combines elements of sci-fi and western movies, with some criminal crime noir taking appropriate action. It certainly had a big impact on 2002’s live-action TV series Firefly. It’s also probably one of the best soundtracks ever for an animated series. Composer Yoko Kanno has been highly acclaimed for producing jazz-themed music in the show. In 2001, the show became a huge hit in the United States because it debuted on the Adult Swim cable TV channel.
What are the live-action Netflix series of Cowboy Bebop?
The live-action version of the program was first announced in 2017, and production programs began in 2019 in New Zealand. The first episode of the 10 episode series is adapted by Christopher Yost. He is known for the Mandalorian television program, as well as the films Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok. The 10 episode series is directed by Alex Garcia Lopez and Michael Katleman. The original composer of the Anime Show`, Yoko Kanno, will manage soundtracks for the live-action series. Shinichiro Watanabe, who directed the original cartoon series, served as a consultant for the live-action version.
After six episodes of the series were filmed in October 2019, production halted for months. Due to its lead actor, John Cho suffered a serious knee injury on the set. Covid19 in 2020 has caused further delays. Filming for the rest of the series resumed in September 2020.
- John Cho (Star Trek) plays the main character of Spike Spiegel, a bounty hunter that was born on Mars and has some seriously spiky hair.
- Mustafa Shakir (Luke Cage) plays Jet Black, Spike’s partner that has a cybernetic arm.
- Daniella Pineda (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) plays Faye Valentine, another one of Spike’s bounty hunting team. She appears to be young, but in fact, she spend over 50 years in suspended animation.
- Alex Hassell (The Boys) plays Vicious, Spike’s ex-partner and now his sworn main enemy.
- Elena Satine (The Gifted) plays Julia, a former romantic partner of Spike’s and Vicious’.
The show will also feature Bebop Crew’s unofficial mascot, Corgi Dog- Ein.
This is all we know about the Cowboy Bebop live-action Netflix series. We will update the article when we know more.